Friday, April 18, 2008

Narrative #3

No one expected Jamie to be the first one. In high school, we joked about who it would be, and it certainly was not her. I can remember the day I got the call like yesterday. My jaw dropped open, frozen in its form as I held the receiver to my ear. As I processed what she said to me, I felt a surge of mixed emotions. I wanted to be happy for her but also sad at what her future would become.
Jamie and I met in kindergarten when she accidentally took my plastic blue chair and put it at her table. We ended up getting into an argument but came out as friends. All through high school and then on to college, we still remained friends. That’s when I knew our friendship would last forever. High school will either make or break a friendship with all the drama, and ours survived it.
College was the best time for our friendship and of our lives. Jamie and I constantly double dated, enjoying the life of not having to worry about parents or when you had to go to bed.
My junior year was when I got involved in a serious relationship. His name was Taylor and I was head over heels for him. I loved his laugh and his bright blue eyes. When we weren’t hanging out and seeing each other every moment, we also enjoyed studying together.
Jamie would go out and part with her other friends. I wanted to join her but Taylor wasn’t really the party type. He thought he should focus more on his studies and I respected that and joined him.
The night before I had a final exam, Taylor really wanted to spend time with me. I would have loved to but I really needed to study and pass the test. He reluctantly left my room, saying he would find something to do.
Two days later, I got a call from Taylor. He said we needed to talk. Right then, I knew it was bad. Little did I know, this call would change my future forever.
He started off saying how much he loved me and how he would never do anything to hurt me. He then said he had made a mistake…a very big one. He explained how a few nights ago when he left my room, he decided to go to a party. Jamie happened to be there, he said.
“Yeah, so what?” I said. “She always goes to parties.”
“I know but something happened between us.” He went on to explain how they had been hanging out and had too much too drink. That’s when things happened and they ended up hooking up.
I could feel my face turn red hot and my head was spinning. How could he do this to me? We were planning on spending the rest of our lives together. I had to leave. I could not see his face anymore.
‘I have to go,” I stammered. “I’ll talk to you later.” I quietly got up.
“Wait, are you okay? Please don’t be mad,” he pleaded touching my arm.
I looked him straight in the eyes. “I have to go.” And with that I left, shutting the door behind me.
I contemplated my options on how to handle the situation. I finally decided I had to leave the college. Not drop out, but transfer. How could I finish my schooling having to see my deceiving friend and cheating boyfriend everyday?
Jamie and I never fully discussed what happened. I told her I was transferring to a different college in the fall; she told me that she and Taylor were dating now.
Years passed and I am now 25 and have a steady job. I have not spoken to Jamie since that year. The last I heard, she and Taylor were living together. That was, until I got the call.
At first, I had no idea who it was. The woman on the phone just started crying. Once she calmed down, I heard Jamie’s voice. I was taken back, hoping that after all these years she didn’t choose today to apologize.
“Melissa,” Jamie said. “I know what happened when we were younger was bad. I still have not gotten over what I did to you.”
Silence on my end.
She continued. “I’m calling today because I need your help. I’m six months pregnant and Taylor has left me.” This caught my attention. I immediately straightened up, ears wide open. Her story sounded like Taylor, hurting people and their lives.
We talked for hours into the night. We talked about where we went after college and how everything was doing now. She said she never expected Taylor to leave. They had been fighting lately but not to that point.
Speaking to her, I remembered the friendship we shared together; how she was always there when I needed her and how she never judged or laughed at me.
“Okay,” I said. “I’m coming out to stay with you.”

1 comments:

Marissa M. said...

This is really good Michelle!